What are anti-wrinkle injections?
We are pleased to offer consultations for anti-wrinkle injections being a possible treatment option with Dr Rory if you are looking at options for anti-wrinkle and wrinkle relaxing injections. Your consultation and treatment if appropriate will be at our CQC registered medical grade clinic in Poole, Dorset.
Anti-wrinkle injections work to help eliminate wrinkles and provide a proven anti ageing & wrinkle relaxation solution. Botox, Bocouture (Merz), NUCEIVA, Dysport and Azzalure target the specific muscles which cause wrinkles due to repeated dynamic movements and facial expressions.
Anti-wrinkle injections help to rejuvenate the skin and combat wrinkles, the injections strengthen the skin and smooth away lines and folds. They primarily work by causing temporary muscle paralysis, resulting in a smooth and wrinkle-free appearance. The three most common areas are the glabella (the area between your eyebrows), the forehead (treating the horizontal lines) and the ‘smilies’ or ‘crows feet’ (the lines around and at the side of the eyes. We also offer the treatment of a gummy smile, downturned smile, hyperhydrosis (sweat reduction) and teeth grinding/jaw clenching (bruxism).
Dr Rory Boud offers anti-wrinkle treatments following an in-depth consultation at the clinic in Poole. Patients have the opportunity to discuss their individual needs when visiting our clinic where treatment options will be discussed in depth along with all other considerations ensuring you are completely happy. The nature of the treatment, the side effects and common reactions of Botox will be carefully explained and all medical conditions, previous medical history and any current medication(s) will be discussed thoroughly during your consultation.
Which areas can be discussed within your consultation?
- Smile lines around the eyes, also known as ‘smilies’ or ‘crows feet’
- Dimpled chin
- Forehead lines
- Frown lines/between the eyebrows (glabella)
- Teeth grinding/Jaw clenching (Bruxism)
- Sweat reduction (Hyperhydrosis)
- Downturned smile (DAO’s)
- Platysma Bands (Neck)
What does the treatment involve?
By injecting precisely into specific muscles, the nerve impulse traveling to the muscle is blocked. This blockage prevents contraction, therefore relaxing the muscles. Typically, you will see an improvement in the appearance of those fine lines and wrinkles 7-10 days following treatment, the maximum effect being observed 5 to 6 weeks after injection. A review appointment strictly within 2 weeks is included within your treatment plan and cost.
What to avoid after the treatment and for how long?
- Exercise should be avoided for the remainder of the day following your treatment
- The area should not be massaged for three days.
- Avoid extremes of temperatures such as saunas, steam rooms and baths for 72 hours to avoid sweating the product out.
- You should remain in an upright position for 4 hours following treatment to limit the spread of substance at the injection site.
- There is particular risk of eye lid or eyebrow complications should you have pressure on the area treated such as placing your face in the breathing hole on a physio or massage couch. This should be avoided for a minimum of 2 weeks.
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure and always wear SPF50 and a hat where possible.
How long does the treatment last for?
Approximate longevity is 3 months, however this varies between individuals due to genetics and lifestyle factors.
How often should you have the treatment?
Every 3-4 months however this varies between individuals.
Who cannot have the treatment?
- Those with an allergy to botulinum toxin type A, Human albumin, or sodium chloride (salt)
- If you are pregnant, or breastfeeding
- Infection at site of injection
- Have ever suffered from a disease which affects your muscles or nervous system, or have any other known muscular or neuromuscular issues
- Those with inflammation in the muscle or skin to be injected